Re: Debian for business?

On Fri, Aug 11, 2006 at 04:24:54PM -0500, Ryan Nowakowski wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 11, 2006 at 04:05:43PM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
> > Ryan Nowakowski wrote:
> > > On Tue, Aug 08, 2006 at 08:09:23PM +0200, Mirko Scurk wrote:
> > [snip]
> > > Move data from MDB to mysql.  Then write an ERP using method you choose.
> >
> > Oh, puh-leeze.  MySQL makes the application do all data validation.
> >  (For example, inserting an out-of-bounds number into an integer
> > will be silently accepted.)
> >
> > PostgreSQL is more feature-rich (read Oracle-like) and suitable to
> > an ERP database.
>
> MySQL does data validation:
> http://dev.mysql.com/tech-resources/articles/mysql-data-integrity.html

"Making the change from no integrity enforcement to global integrity
enforcement is easy to do, so MySQL DBAs upgrading from previous MySQL
versions should seriously consider its use. And anyone new to MySQL who
is deploying version 5.0 should definitely make the new server-enforced
data integrity the default."

Yeah, but the DBA must enable it.  Including a gee whizbang feature that
is arguably a requirement for anything other than a toy implementation
(after only 10 years of criticism) and then *not* making it the default
is almost as bad as not having it there in the first place.

> I guess you're a little behind the curve ;)

I guess you are too :)  And so are the MySQL people since that feature
has been in production for under a year.

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez
http://familiasanchez.net/~roberto