Re: why sarge can't power off PC

On Tue, 08 Aug 2006 19:39:59 +0100
Wulfy <wulfmann@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

> Liam O'Toole wrote:
> > On Tue, 8 Aug 2006 00:53:29 -0700 (PDT)
> > Serena Cantor <qipaishi2006@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >

> >> Thanks! I use sarge's default kernel, 2.4.
> >>
> >> It seems that I would wait for Debian 4.0, which use
> >> kernel 2.6, in Dec, 2006
> >>

> > APM (Advanced Power Management) should work with that kernel. Is the
> > apm module already loaded? What is the output of 'lsmod | grep
> > apm'?
> >
> > If the module is not loaded, run the command 'modprobe apm
> > power_off=1'. Add the line 'apm power_off=1' to /etc/modules so that
> > the module will be loaded automatically the next time you boot.
> I have a similar problem.  During the recent very hot weather here in
> the UK, my box kept crashing.

Not something we have to worry about very often :-)

[...]

> I followed the above instructions and this is the result;
>
> Yewdales-lodge:~# modprobe apm power_off=1
> FATAL: Error inserting apm
> (/lib/modules/2.6.8-3-k7/kernel/arch/i386/kernel/apm.ko): No such
> device [The file, apm.ko, is there, I checked.]
> Yewdales-lodge:~# apm
> No APM support in kernel

[...]

I suspect that the kernel has acpi enabled. You can check by seeing
if the directory /proc/acpi exists and is populated. To use apm,
you will need to disable acpi. You do this by passing the argument
'acpi=off' to the kernel, either on the grub command line or in the
grub configuration file, /boot/grub/menu.lst. (I'm assuming that you
use grub; with lilo the procedure is similar.)

--

Liam