Re: why sarge can't power off PC

Liam O'Toole wrote:
On Tue, 08 Aug 2006 19:39:59 +0100
Wulfy <wulfmann@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

I have a similar problem. During the recent very hot weather here in the UK, my box kept crashing.

Not something we have to worry about very often :-)
True! :)
[...]

I followed the above instructions and this is the result;

Yewdales-lodge:~# modprobe apm power_off=1
FATAL: Error inserting apm (/lib/modules/2.6.8-3-k7/kernel/arch/i386/kernel/apm.ko): No such
device [The file, apm.ko, is there, I checked.]
Yewdales-lodge:~# apm
No APM support in kernel

[...]

I suspect that the kernel has acpi enabled. You can check by seeing if the directory /proc/acpi exists and is populated. To use apm,
you will need to disable acpi. You do this by passing the argument
'acpi=off' to the kernel, either on the grub command line or in the
grub configuration file, /boot/grub/menu.lst. (I'm assuming that you
use grub; with lilo the procedure is similar.)
Yes, acpi is there. Is there a way to use it to restore my power-down/reboot stuff? There doesn't seem to be a man page for it.

--
Blessings

Wulfmann

Wulf Credo:
Respect the elders. Teach the young. Co-operate with the pack. Play when you can. Hunt when you must. Rest in between.