Re: command-line utility to write/edit iptc info?

Bruno Buys wrote:
> hi all!
>
> does anyone know of a good utility to write and edit iptc metadata from
> images? I´d like to install one that I can scriptalize easily.

$ apt-cache search iptc
exiv2 - EXIF/IPTC metadata manipulation tool
iptables-dev - development files for iptable's libipq and libiptc
libexiv2 - EXIF/IPTC metadata manipulation library
libexiv2-dev - EXIF/IPTC metadata manipulation library - development
files
libexiv2-doc - EXIF/IPTC metadata manipulation library - HTML
documentation
libimage-exiftool-perl - Perl module to read and write meta
information in image files
python-imaging - Python Imaging Library
python-mmpython - Media Metadata for Python

$ apt-cache show exiv2
Package: exiv2
Section: graphics
Installed-Size: 172
Maintainer: KELEMEN Peter <fuji@debian.org>
Architecture: i386
Version: 0.10-1
Depends: libexiv2 (= 0.10-1), libc6 (>= 2.3.6-6), libexiv2, libgcc1
(>= 1:4.1.0), libstdc++6 (>= 4.1.0)
Filename: pool/main/e/exiv2/exiv2_0.10-1_i386.deb
Size: 75008
MD5sum: d5b2a3799224e6fba4ccb131b4ab0d58
SHA1: 7060f50f98301992b2ee543f1287b7f4ec45bf62
SHA256: 007548e5ba64b9b1f5e81f26a090d032aa106413628ffddc1be58e230be08abd
 Exiv2 can:
  * print the EXIF metadata of JPEG images as summary info,
interpreted values,
    or the plain data for each tag (here is a sample)
  * print the IPTC metadata of JPEG images
  * print the JPEG comment of JPEG images
  * set, add and delete EXIF and IPTC metadata of JPEG images
  * adjust the EXIF timestamp (that's how it all started...)
  * rename EXIF image files according to the EXIF timestamp
  * extract EXIF metadata, IPTC metadata and JPEG comments from
image files and
    insert it again
  * extract the thumbnail image embedded in the EXIF metadata
  * delete the thumbnail or the complete EXIF metadata from an image

- --
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA

Is "common sense" really valid?