Re: dpkg: syntax error: unknown group `Debian-exim' in statusoverride file

Mumia W. wrote:

> On 08/07/2006 11:06 AM, kevin bailey wrote:
>> Mumia W. wrote:

>>> Somehow, a status override was set to the group Debian-exim,
>>> but the group was never created. You might be able to create
>>> the group, or you could remove the status override.
>>>
>>> FYI, on my system, the Debian-exim group has a gid of 102.

>>> Or you could just do that :)

>>> Perhaps an install was interrupted.
>>>

>> Maybe...
>>
>> I deleted the contents of the /var/lib/dpkg/statoverride file and the
>> packages can now be updated and the error does not show.
>>
>> I'm not entirely comfortable with this - will need to look further into
>> the statoverride file to see what it does.
>>
>> Thanks for your help,
>>
>> Kevin
>>

> Unless you made a backup of the file, deleting
> /var/log/dpkg/statoverride was probably not a good idea. While
> the statoverrides are not critical, they help you install
> different packages that like to stomp all over each other's
> files and packages that don't set the right
> ownership/permissions on their files.
>
> Read the docs: man dpkg-statoverride

I backed it up first and then just deleted this line in the file:

root Debian-exim 0640 /etc/exim4/passwd.client

man dpkg-statoverride seemed to show that the file is used by package
install routines to schedule file status changes.

Hopefully by removing this request to change an exim file will not have any
repercusions now that I have Postfix installed.

Thanks again for your advice.

Kevin