Re: thinkpad value for money?

Jon Dowland wrote:
At 1154989430 past the epoch, Tyler Smith wrote:
However, I notice that the specs on comparably priced, or
somewhat cheaper, Dells (Inspiron e1505), Toshibas (A105),
Lenovo (3000) and Compaqs are generally better than what
I'd get with a thinkpad.

I'm running Debian on a Dell D800 currently, but previously I had an "older" Thinkpad A20p. I've been able to get both of them working very well in Linux, although I ended up swapping out the wireless card in the Dell for something natively supported (got a Prism card).

Dell's customer support for Linux is just about non-existent. If you go Dell, you're better off leaving a small Windows partition on the system so you can tell if what you're seeing is a hardware problem or not. Or better yet, buy the Dell with the smallest hard drive you can and a Windows install, then replace the hard drive with what you want and put Linux on that. Then you can swap them out to determine hardware issues in the laptop and get support from Dell if you have to send it back (wish I had gone that route).

I had little-to-no problems with the Thinkpad, however, but I never messed with their support either.

Thanks,
Rick Reynolds
--
Think like a man of action, act like a man of thought -- Henry Bergson