Re: thinkpad value for money?

Tyler Smith wrote:
So my question is: is a 'low end' thinkpad worth the mark-up over what Dell and Toshiba have on offer?

I have a R51 for more than two year now, using it dayly for many hours and wouldn't swap for another manufacturer. Thinkpads are nowadays made in China, but as far as I could tell their price offset is well balanced by what you get in terms of quality and support.

Just google around and look, if you find support for other manufacturers that matches ibm/lenovo's site for windows and thinkwiki.org for linux. In particular, the wiki will tell you in advance how good different models are supported by linux.

My DVD-Multiburner died an untimely death a few month ago. I phoned their support and after telling my syslog messages, they sent a replacement within 16 h. All I had to do was to swap the drives (no screws), and have the old one picked up in the box the new one came in. The proper address label sticker was supplied and filled in.

I wouldn't go for anything less.

YMMV, etc.

Johannes