Re: thinkpad value for money?

On Tuesday 08 August 2006 01:23 am, Tyler Smith wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Fishing for more advice on a laptop purchase here. In an earlier
> thread on this list just about everyone was plugging thinkpads as
> the way to go. My budget is a little on the light side, but I
> could manage a 'low-end' thinkpad like an R51 or maybe a T42.
> However, I notice that the specs on comparably priced, or
> somewhat cheaper, Dells (Inspiron e1505), Toshibas (A105), Lenovo
> (3000) and Compaqs are generally better than what I'd get with a
> thinkpad. These brands/models seem to get higher ratings in a lot
> of the on- and off-line magazines, while more geek-oriented sites
> push the thinkpads.
>
> My needs are pretty ordinary: web, email, editing text and code,
> basic image manipulation, some scientific computing. I listen to
> some audio podcasts and streaming radio, but I don't otherwise
> use my computer for music, movies, or games. I've been managing
> quite well on a six year old 700mhz desktop with 392 ram, so
> anything I get will be a big improvement in terms of performance.
> My main goal is to have a solid, portable system that plays well
> with Debian and will give me hopefully another 6 years of regular
> use. I will need a decent, full-size keyboard, as I plan to do
> most of my work on this machine.
>
> So my question is: is a 'low end' thinkpad worth the mark-up over
> what Dell and Toshiba have on offer?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Tyler

After much comparison, I bought a Thinkpad R40 type 2897-54U and
have been very satisfied. Yes, I paid more and got less icing on
the cake, but the quality is great and I haven't experienced any
problems. Kinda like buying a Honda versus a Chevy. My R40 has a
great keyboard. Others that I test drove were mushy, etc. I was
recently behind a friend's other-brand unit and couldn't wait to
get behind my Thinkpad keyboard again.

The Trackpoint is great; I disabled the touchpad. Next time I'll
save money and get just the Trackpoint.

The only Linux-related problem was the Agere Systems winmodem. After
heroic efforts from the guys at Linmodems.org, it worked, but not
without glitches. Agere pulled their driver from their site, so I
guess they realized it didn't work well. I now use a Linksys pcmcia
card modem.

Did you look at the economy R40e models? For what you seem to be
wanting, they should be fine. A friend went that route and is very
satisfied.

By the way, as you probably know, Lenovo bought IBM's desktop and
laptop division.

-- Elmer E. Dow