Re: cdrecord wihout SUID

Mumia W. wrote:
I find it hard to believe that this works. I tried that too and discovered that running cdrecord SUID root is a requirement; cdrecord uses privileged IOCTLS (whatever they are).

IOCTL - Input/Output ConTroL

This does direct communication with the device driver. In this case,
the control access is restricted to root. Bad things can be done to
the disc in the drive. This is a normal kind of restriction. It's like
the restriction on fdisk as well.

The user won't get much mileage out of it either. Sudo is the only alternative to making cdrecord SUID root.

And a very viable one.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.