Re: Upcoming Release of Debian GNU/Linux 4.0 - a beginner's query/request

On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 08:17:34 -0400, hendrik wrote
(<[🔎] 20060730121734.GA16671@topoi.pooq.com>):

> On Sun, Jul 30, 2006 at 07:30:08AM +1000, Felix Karpfen wrote:
>>

>> My thanks also to the other respondents who were good enough to share
>> their experiences.  I am especially grateful for the advice from
>> "hendrik" to "keep a copy of the currently-operational system"
>
> What I said (or should have said) was "keep an *operational* copy of the
> currently-operational system".  I actually used extra partitions to
> store the copy and checked that I could boot it.

That is the "plan of campaign".

Fortunately, thanks to the massive sizes of the current HDs, there is
plenty of unused space on the "working drive" and I have a second drive
that is used only for "backups" (in case the working drive fails).

And, of course, "a full backup" achieves nothing if it cannot be loaded!
So changes to "lilo.conf" and "fstab" are on the agenda.

Thank you for the followup.

Felix
--
Felix Karpfen