Re: Upcoming Release of Debian GNU/Linux 4.0 - a beginner's query/request

On Mon, Jul 31, 2006 at 11:54:06AM -0400, Juergen Fiedler wrote:
> If I remember correctly, 'dist-upgrade' got its name because it is
> smarter about resolving the vast numbers of potentially altered
> dependencies...

No, it's not any "smarter".  What would be the use of a dumber vs smarter
algorithm?

As documented, the difference between the 'upgrade' and 'dist-upgrade'
targets is that 'dist-upgrade' allows apt to change the installation state
of a package.  It can remove packages, and add new ones, in order to reach
a dependency solution.

--
 Marc Wilson |     BOFH excuse #271: The kernel license has expired
 msw@cox.net |