Re: Upcoming Release of Debian GNU/Linux 4.0 - a beginner's query/request

On Mon, Jul 31, 2006 at 11:13:30AM -0400, Matej Cepl wrote:
> Jon Dowland wrote:
> > Please note that you are advised to *not do this*, but to
> > *always* read the release notes for the relevant
>
> you certainly noticed that I had there aptitude upgrade (not dist-upgrade),
> right?

It should be noted that the names for the operations are somewhat
misleading: 'aptitude upgrade' will happily upgrade your packages
across release boundaries (i.e., from woody to sarge). If I remember
correctly, 'dist-upgrade' got its name because it is smarter about
resolving the vast numbers of potentially altered dependencies; thus,
it makes upgrading to a new release easier (typically), but it is
certainly not the only tool to do it.

Good luck,
 --j