Re: Debian on i486

On Sun, Jul 30, 2006 at 07:52:41PM -0400, Leonid Grinberg wrote:
> I have tried installing Debian and ran into some problems.
>
> The machine has both a floppy drive and a CD drive, but the BIOS does
> not recognize the CD drive as a drive, and does not allow me to boot
> off of it, let alone USB. That leaves only floppies. I burned boot.img
> root.img net-drivers.img and cd-drivers.img to four floppies, and
> booted debian-installer. The problem is that the machine is unable to
> recognize the ethernet card, and I can't get much further than that
> (the next step is to download stuff from the Internet).
>
> The machine already runs some old distro of Linux, unfortunately, I
> know not which one. However, networking works fine with it, using the
> 3c590 module. This is in the list of available modules that come on
> the floppy, but I cannot use it (it says that it returns errors, and
> doing it from the command-line with modprobe 3c59x returns an error
> saying something about enabling something in the kernel.
>
> The machine has a 100MhZ processor and ~25MB or RAM. It also has an
> 893 MB hard drive.
>
> Any ideas?

the suggestions by others are great, but here's one that might be
fun... dependiong on how much of that HD is actually used, you could
get a copy of debootstrap on that other linux install and build your
system that way. Probably not very practical, but it could be an
enjoyable afternoon of tinkering.

another suggesting, get smart boot manager and then use it to boot
your cd.