apt-get md5sum error on etch system

Hi. Basically, I'm bran new to Debian although I've been using linux for quite some time now. I must say it's a lovely OS! I had no idea it was this aesthetically pleasing (the gnome desktop) and generally stable.

I really needed a change from my old OS (RHEL clone) because I felt like the system did not keep current (was too outdated for my taste). I also wanted something that was truly free and with an open community such as what Debian has (I really did not know that a development community such as what Debian enjoys existed and now that I know it does I want to be a part of it!) Again, I must say I find Debian an excellent OS!

I installed etch (testing) because initially the sarge-network-cd would not recognize my network configuration (I had a motorolla cable modem connected via a usb port). The etch-network-cd did not recognize the configuration either, so I just used an old 3com 509 card I had and that succeeded.

My problem is that when I run 'apt-get update' I get these errors:

Failed to fetch http://http.us.debian.org/debian/dists/etch/main/binary-i386/Packages.gz MD5Sum mismatch Failed to fetch http://http.us.debian.org/debian/dists/etch/non-free/binary-i386/Packages.gz MD5Sum mismatch Failed to fetch http://http.us.debian.org/debian/dists/etch/main/source/Sources.gz MD5Sum mismatch
Reading package lists... Done
W: Couldn't stat source package list http://http.us.debian.org etch/main Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/http.us.debian.org_debian_dists_etch_main_binary-i386_Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory) W: Couldn't stat source package list http://http.us.debian.org etch/main Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/http.us.debian.org_debian_dists_etch_main_binary-i386_Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)
E: Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old ones used instead.

I really need to be able to get the source for a package that I would like to rebuild for my system (anjuta), but I cant get the latest version (1.2.4a) because of this error. Is there something I can do about it? Thanks so much for your answers.

Sincerely
Jose Alburquerque