Re: Debian on i486

I have tried installing Debian and ran into some problems.

The machine has both a floppy drive and a CD drive, but the BIOS does
not recognize the CD drive as a drive, and does not allow me to boot
off of it, let alone USB. That leaves only floppies. I burned boot.img
root.img net-drivers.img and cd-drivers.img to four floppies, and
booted debian-installer. The problem is that the machine is unable to
recognize the ethernet card, and I can't get much further than that
(the next step is to download stuff from the Internet).

The machine already runs some old distro of Linux, unfortunately, I
know not which one. However, networking works fine with it, using the
3c590 module. This is in the list of available modules that come on
the floppy, but I cannot use it (it says that it returns errors, and
doing it from the command-line with modprobe 3c59x returns an error
saying something about enabling something in the kernel.

The machine has a 100MhZ processor and ~25MB or RAM. It also has an
893 MB hard drive.

Any ideas?