Re: Recursive copy to udf-formatted dvd-ram freezes system

Rob Sims wrote:
On Thu, Jul 27, 2006 at 09:06:11AM +0200, Johannes Wiedersich wrote:
Eckhard Kosin wrote:
The cp -rv showed up a file name with an unprintable character (the file
originated from DOS, long time ago).   Thanks.  I renamed the file and
now the system doesn't freeze, but the writer doesn't stop to write
(more than 15 min for 293 MB ;-(.   No hint from syslog, the only method
to stop the writer is to switch it off and after a new switch on no data
have been written to the DVD.  It seems that UDF is rather unstable, at
least in the AMD64 branch.
I guess as a 'universal disk format' for all operating systems, it is bound to be less feature rich than something tailored to linux. It was specifically developed with RW-media in mind and probably isn't at the top of fs performance for RAM-media.

UDF is incredibly feature rich.  The kernel implementation appears
buggy; I can crash the kernel using a loopback device.  I've intended to
go through the code for quite some time now.

I had similar problems with a DVD-Ram disc used for backup when formatted UDF, so I reformatted it ext3 and no errors for over a year. Not ideal if you need to share information with non unix OS but you can read Ext3 partitions from WinXP with the help of the Ext2fs driver.

HTH

Wackojacko