Re: Can't access usb

On 7/28/06, Florian Kulzer <florian@molphys.leidenuniv.nl> wrote:
On Fri, Jul 28, 2006 at 08:39:33 -0400, Chuckk Hubbard wrote:
> On 7/28/06, Mark Grieveson wrote:

[...]

> >What kernel are you using?  I feel if you upgrade to a 2.6.8 kernel
> >image, and install gnome-volume-manager (with hal), that your USB drive
> >will be found.  I'd recommend the default (gnome) desktop too.  Then
> >your USB drive will likely just appear on your desktop (you'd need to
> >reboot after installing this stuff, though, at which point, I'm guessing
> >that your USB drive will be found, and shown right on your desktop.
>
> Is that really supposed to happen?
> I previously tried to install pmount and hal, and in so doing
> uninstalled hotplug.  Don't ask me, that's what apt-get says.  Well
> this wrecked my xwindows, so I undid it.  I've searched high and low
> for new things to try.  This does seem to be like problem #1 that
> people have.

The newer versions of udev replace hotplug. What you describe above is
supposed happen; it is furthermore recommended to purge the hotplug
configuration files after the package is removed. Installing udev did
not really "wreck your Xwindow system", it just resulted in a problem
with your mouse. (Set "AllowMouseOpenFail" to "true", unplug your mouse,
restart X and you will see that it does not really need the mouse at
all.) I don't think that reinstalling hotplug was the proper way to
address your problem.

OK, I tried this, and got a startup error saying udev requires a
kernel > 2.6.15.  I'll ask the AGNULA list about it again.  I expect
to try compiling my own kernel soon, so maybe I can find a hack for
this.

> usbview shows the flash drive in red.  tail -f /var/log/messages does
> indicate that the usb thing is plugged in, typically to two addresses
> each time.
> mount -t ntfs /dev/sda1 /mnt/usb tells me "not a valid block device"
> mount -t usbfs /dev/sda1 /mnt/usb says nothing, but I have meaningless
> files in /mnt/usb; a file called devices and folders 001 and 002,
> which have files named 001 and 002 in them.

Did you try vfat as the file system type? What type of flash drive was
it?

I did, same result.  It's a Corsair Flash Voyager 1 GB.

> I've never heard of usb drives just showing up when you plug them in
> in Linux.  Is that for real?

It works (at least) with KDE and Gnome. It needs udev, pmount, hal and
dbus, plus gnome-volume-manager for Gnome.

Cool.  I'll see if I can get udev working.  Thanks for your advice.

-Chuckk

--
"Far and away the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to
work hard at work worth doing."