Re: Can't access usb

Before migrating from Mandriva 2006 to Debian 3.1 r2 I  copied everything on /home/robin to an external hard drive which connects to my PC through a usb port.  I had planned to copy it back to my hdd after the Debian  install was complete.

I now have Debian installed but it doesn't recognize my usb port. I have tried to find it using konqueror and from a terminal as su without success.
Can someone please help me to recover this information.

Robin
What kernel are you using? I feel if you upgrade to a 2.6.8 kernel image, and install gnome-volume-manager (with hal), that your USB drive will be found. I'd recommend the default (gnome) desktop too. Then your USB drive will likely just appear on your desktop (you'd need to reboot after installing this stuff, though, at which point, I'm guessing that your USB drive will be found, and shown right on your desktop.

Mark