Re: System Quits Responding-Swap Issue Or What?

On 07/27/2006 11:06 PM, Leonard Chatagnier wrote:

--- Florian Kulzer <florian@molphys.leidenuniv.nl>
wrote:
[ snipped ]
Hello Florian, sorry for delay but Debian has just
about quit on the linux box. Lucky for me WXP still
works on a lesser machine. Mozilla crashed while
composing my reply with Yahoo web mail. And things get
worse: after  booting in single mode to get your info,
X wont start, no mice, lots of permission denied in
/etc/rc2* with can't chown,etc, message attempt to
access beyond end of device: hda1 rw=0 wants (a number
beyond limit) limit=a lesser number,
> [...]
init_special_inode: bogus i_mode(177762,63,64,66,67),
syslogd (4500): dirtied inode 273672(syslog) on hda3,
syslogd (4500): dirtied inode 273702(kern.log) on hda3
and many more.
> [...]

My highly uneducated guess is that your HD is about to die. Copy your data off it ASAP and replace it.