What's blocking port 1443 during boot?

I have an init.d script that starts two instances of Apache2.  It's a
front-end/back-end server setup.  For testing the front-end Apache2
listens on port 82 and 1443 (SSL).  The front end is a reverse proxy
and proxies requests the back-end Apache2 on listening on ports 10082
and 11433.

During boot the back-end server starts, but the front-end server
reports:

    Server on port 82/1443
    Apache start for front/test_production: (99)Cannot assign
      requested address: make_sock: could not bind to address
      xxx.97.158.169:1443
    Unable to open logs
    Failed

Yes, if I run the init.d script from the command line after boot both
servers come up fine:

    sudo /etc/init.d/httpd start

I updated the init.d script to run netstat -tlp before trying to
start Apache2, but nothing is bound to port 1443.

Active Internet connections (only servers)
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address           Foreign Address         State       PID/Program name
tcp        0      0 *:802                   *:*                     LISTEN     1468/rpc.statd
tcp        0      0 *:nrpe                  *:*                     LISTEN     1413/inetd
tcp        0      0 *:finger                *:*                     LISTEN     1413/inetd
tcp        0      0 *:sunrpc                *:*                     LISTEN     1246/portmap
tcp        0      0 *:auth                  *:*                     LISTEN     1422/oidentd
tcp        0      0 *:ssh                   *:*                     LISTEN     1464/sshd
tcp        0      0 *:telnet                *:*                     LISTEN     1413/inetd
tcp        0      0 localhost:postgresql    *:*                     LISTEN     1435/postmaster

So, how can I find out what is keeping Apache2 from binding to port
1443, yet at boot Apache is able to bind to 10082 and 11443 (and I
assume port 82) without any problem?

--
Bill Moseley
moseley@hank.org