Re: System Quits Responding-Swap Issue Or What?

--- Florian Kulzer <florian@molphys.leidenuniv.nl>
wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 26, 2006 at 10:13:03 -0700, Leonard
> Chatagnier wrote:
> >
> > Kent West <westk@acu.edu> wrote:

> with 128
> HD. I run
> windows open
> embedded modia
> pass (<
> and
> unresponsive(clicking
> may
> After
> system
> slows
>
> [...]
> subscribed.
> > >
> > > I'd start by seeing if it happens with another
> user.
> > > In a different windowing environment.
> > > In a simple X session (twm or icewm, etc)
> > > In console without X running at all.
> > > In single-user mode.
> > >
> > > Then I'd post the results here.
>
> [...]
>
> > Hope this answers all, if not, be glad to try more
> > with more specific how tos. In, short, once the HD
> > activity stopped after about a hour, it hasn't
> > restarted. Took about 3 hours to compose this
> reply
> > mostly due to the delay during the HD activity.
>
> Do you have logrotate and anacron installed? In that
> case your symptoms
> might be due to the log rotation process which is
> started by anacron 5
> minutes after boot, combined with a DMA problem
> which makes hard disk
> access very slow. (Under these conditions the
> problem should only occur
> after the first boot on every day, or if you leave
> the computer on
> during the night.) Other cronjobs such as mandb
> updates could also
> contribute to the problem.
>
> I would boot into single user mode and check the
> hard disk access speed.
> Post the output of the following commands (assuming
> your HD is /dev/hda):
>
> hdparm /dev/hda
> hdparm -tT /dev/hda
>
> --
> Regards,
>           Florian

Hello Florian, sorry for delay but Debian has just
about quit on the linux box. Lucky for me WXP still
works on a lesser machine. Mozilla crashed while
composing my reply with Yahoo web mail. And things get
worse: after  booting in single mode to get your info,
X wont start, no mice, lots of permission denied in
/etc/rc2* with can't chown,etc, message attempt to
access beyond end of device: hda1 rw=0 wants (a number
beyond limit) limit=a lesser number,
no DSL on linux but wxp ok, /etc/resolv.conf-no such
file of directory, single user fsck says all
partitions are clean, boot shows some rmdir
messages(scares me) but dmesg doesn't list them.
kern.log and debug shows lots of Write, some Read and:
many
init_special_inode: bogus i_mode(177762,63,64,66,67),
syslogd (4500): dirtied inode 273672(syslog) on hda3,
syslogd (4500): dirtied inode 273702(kern.log) on hda3
and many more.
Now your info. Booted into single user mode and gave
root pswd for maint:
# hdparm /dev/hda
/dev/hda:
multcount=0(off)
IO_support=0(default 16-bit)
unmasking=0(off)
using_dma=1(on)
keepsettings=0(off)
readonly=0(off)
readahead=256(on)
geometry=26500/16/63, sectors=26712000,start=0
#
#hdparm -tT /dev/hda
/dev/hda:
Timing cached reads: 520 MB in 2.01 sec=258.15 MB/sec
Timing buffered disk reads: 52 MB in 3.06 sec=16.98
MB/sec
#
Hope you can offer some suggestions on what happened
and how to fix X which /EE' entries showed to be an
input(mice) error. Tried to dpkg-reconfigure xorg but
got "something" permission denied here and on aptitude
install/reinstall attempts. Debian froze again and did
another of many reboots(with reset button) and now DSL
is working but still no X.
Looking forward to some reply.

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570@sbcglobal.net