Problems Installing R

Hi list,

I am running a generally quite stable unstable system, but recently have had troubles installing R 2.3. Although I can get aptitude to install r-base and r-base-core without any noticeable problems, when I then try to start R, I get the warning message

Error in options(...) : invalid editor parameter
Error: .onLoad failed in 'loadNamespace' for 'utils'
Error in options(...) : invalid editor parameter
In addition: Warning message:
package utils in options("defaultPackages") was not found
Error: .onLoad failed in 'loadNamespace' for 'utils'
Error in options(...) : invalid editor parameter
In addition: Warning message:
package stats in options("defaultPackages") was not found
Error: .onLoad failed in 'loadNamespace' for 'utils'
During startup - Warning message:
package methods in options("defaultPackages") was not found

Didn't find anything in Google on this...any help appreciated.

Take care, Peter