Re: Bringing up eth0 NIC without logging in

Bill Marcum said...
> On Thu, Jul 27, 2006 at 08:12:48PM +0100, marc wrote:
> > Hi.
> >
> > I have a couple of Debian installs on my laptop, on one the eth0 NIC
> > comes up during the boot process, but on the other it doesn't, although
> > it's identified and there in dmesg. I'm using the same interfaces file
> > for both, but clearly I'm missing something - that I probably did in the
> > midst of time and have now forgotten.
> >
> > /etc/network/interfaces says
> >
> >  auto eth0 inet dhcp
> >
> > After boot, ifconfig shows no eth0, but "ifup eth0" says "eth0 already
> > configured". There is no way out at this point.
> >
> > When I "ifdown eth0" followed "ifup eth0" (or dhclient eth0) all is
> > sweet.
> >
> > What am I missing?
> >
> Is the module for the nic listed in /etc/modules?

Is there a need, since it is detected at boot? It's not there for the
working version.

> Maybe dhclient runs before the module is loaded.
> Is the nic built in or on a card?

It's built-in. There's no indication that dhclient is running at all
during boot up, I thought that was the job of 'auto eth0 inet dhcp' - to
do the dhcp thing.

--
Best,
Marc