Bringing up eth0 NIC without logging in

Hi.

I have a couple of Debian installs on my laptop, on one the eth0 NIC
comes up during the boot process, but on the other it doesn't, although
it's identified and there in dmesg. I'm using the same interfaces file
for both, but clearly I'm missing something - that I probably did in the
midst of time and have now forgotten.

/etc/network/interfaces says

 auto eth0 inet dhcp

After boot, ifconfig shows no eth0, but "ifup eth0" says "eth0 already
configured". There is no way out at this point.

When I "ifdown eth0" followed "ifup eth0" (or dhclient eth0) all is
sweet.

What am I missing?

--
Best,