Re: Question about bzip2 and bzip2recover and tar

I use "bvi" to fix things like that...
If you would like to skype back and forth on how to use it to clip binary files for recovery, let me know... You have to explore the files and determine where to delete at the end of the last good file and at the beginning of the first good file after the glitch.... Then cat them together essentially clipping out cleanly the header, bad section and trailer... Then tar can get everything except the bad section and a little bit before and after the bad section... bvi is a great recovery tool when the only copy you have left has problems...

----- Original Message ----- From: "Paul E Condon" <pecondon@mesanetworks.net>
To: <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Thursday, July 27, 2006 1:45 PM
Subject: Re: Question about bzip2 and bzip2recover and tar

On Thu, Jul 27, 2006 at 12:05:26PM -0400, Larry Irwin wrote:
If you can successfully extract each bz2 file, then you should be able to
cat the results sequentially into a tar file or stream and then extract....
If this listing script works, you should be OK...
for i in *.bz2
do
 cat $i | bunzip2  || {
   echo "Error. Exiting."
   exit 1
 }
done | tar tvf -
Later,
Larry Irwin

Thanks.
I didn't use your script, but I was able to unzip all but one of the files.
File 3029, of the 4282 files, had unrecoverable errors.
All the others were turned into:
rec0nnnncarols051011x.tbz
I concatenated these into file xxx.tar and ran a extract.
It worked, mostly. But it died at the place where there was a missing
piece. I think I need some kind of filler that allows tar to get
past the glitch and keep going. Or maybe I just have to be
satisfied with only 3/4 recovery.

Are there any known approaches that recover the data following the
bad spot?

----- Original Message ----- From: "Paul E Condon" <pecondon@mesanetworks.net>