receiving faxes: efax vs. mgetty

Hi,

On sid with efax I could not receive faxes: got an error for each line received.

That matched a post by Terry White of 6 years ago:
http://groups.google.com/group/mlist.linux.admin/browse_thread/thread/9cc63d5c2a3f2862/57e3b7792f59f578?lnk=st&q=&rnum=1&hl=ia#57e3b7792f59f578

which says:

the number of lines received and errors are identical. as i recall, this
indicates an inability to detect end of line. that is not a modem issue, but a protocol violation. i set mgetty up for 2.0 and have had no trouble with it, on a usr v.90.

Installed mgetty and mgetty-fax and sure enough:

mgetty /dev/ttyS0

works out of the box!
Then you convert the g3 file with g32pbm that comes with mgetty-fax.

Would seem that efax has a problem receiving faxes. I have an exterior USRobotics faxmodem 56K.