Re: Jabber network vs. multi-protocol IM clients

On Wednesday 26 July 2006 08:59, Steve Lamb wrote:
> Paul Johnson wrote:

> >>     I did.  Or are you unfamiliar with the term Strawman argument?
> >
> > I'm familiar with it, OTOH, I don't see it as a strawman, which is why I
> > asked for explaination.
>
>     Then you clearly aren't familiar with it.  I ask you, just what does
> SMTP have to do with what I did say given that I didn't mention SMTP at
> all?

The topology is identical, and how it works (servers being clients of other
servers to deliver between sites, end users connecting to their local server)
is identical to SMTP.  The only real differences between SMTP and XMPP is
XMPP uses XML and gets the job done in near-realtime whereas SMTP can take up
to 4 days.

--
Paul Johnson
Jabber: Because it's time to move forward  http://ursine.ca/Ursine:Jabber