Re: No sound support for KDE

On Tuesday 25 July 2006 07:26, Markus Petermann wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a problem with the audio output of KDE 3.5.3 (the KDE version
> currently used by Debian Etch Testing): There is absolutely no sound
> output.
>
> After the first launch of KDE I got a pop-up with the error message:
>
> "Sound server information message:
> Error while initializing sound driver:
> device: default can't be opened for playback (No such device)
> The sound server will continue, using the null output device."

[...]

I suggest disabling the KDE sound system, to see if you can play
soundfiles with any apps that don't use it.

If that works, you know aRTs is the culprit. You can either not use it (this
works for me); or you can try to find out why the device "default" is not
found.

Try using the "Override device location" option in "Sound system > Hardware"
and make it something like "hw:0" or hw:1", (press "Apply" for each attempt
and see if the error message reappears). If these fail, try putting in the
path to your actual sound device - you'll have to hunt that down in /dev.

Something that can also help to clearly define sound devices is to have a
~.asoundrc file, which google will tell you about!

Hope this helps and good luck,

John