kernel-compiling noob

I just stumbled on these instructions:
http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/tutorials/202/1/

I'm mainly interested in fixing my kernel timer resolution to be fine
enough for Rosegarden MIDI, but I'm curious about kernel making all
the same.
I'm using the AGNULA 2.6.14-1-multimedia kernel headers.  I have two
main questions about this process.
1) Where might I find options for kernel timer resolution, and
2) Would it make my system faster or more efficient to remove support
for, say, soundcards I don't have?  Or other hardware I know I don't
have?

The backup procedure outlined on that link seems kind of iffy to me;
it doesn't look like the modules are backed up.  But, as the headers
are for the kernel I am currently running, does that mean any modules
that are replaced will be replaced with the same files?

-Chuckk

--
"Far and away the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to
work hard at work worth doing."