Re: kernel-compiling noob

On Monday 24 July 2006 09:13, Chuckk Hubbard wrote:
> I just stumbled on these instructions:
> http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/tutorials/202/1/
>
> I'm mainly interested in fixing my kernel timer resolution to be fine
> enough for Rosegarden MIDI, but I'm curious about kernel making all
> the same.
> I'm using the AGNULA 2.6.14-1-multimedia kernel headers.  I have two
> main questions about this process.
> 1) Where might I find options for kernel timer resolution, and
> 2) Would it make my system faster or more efficient to remove support
> for, say, soundcards I don't have?  Or other hardware I know I don't
> have?

[...]

My suggestion would be to google for some recent and more Debian-specific
kernel-compile how-to's; for example, using make-kpkg makes it a lot simpler
by making a .deb kernel package you can then install just like a regular
package. You do have to move /lib/modules/$KERNEL_VERSION out of the way if
you are re-compiling the same kernel version, but I think you get prompted
for that.

Your questions:

1) The timer resolution option is under "Processor type and features", near
the bottom.

2) You can certainly make your kernel a lot smaller this way (mine is a
quarter the size of the vanilla one) but whether it's actually faster is not
immediately obvious to me.

HTH,

John