Re: Anybody else seeing this GTK2 bug?

On Sunday 23 July 2006 22:08, Florian Kulzer wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 23, 2006 at 21:21:26 +0200, Torquil Macdonald Sørensen wrote:
> > I checked the X resources with 'xrdb -query', and found the following Xft
> > related settings:
> >
> > Xft.antialias:  0
> > Xft.hinting:    1
> > Xft.hintstyle:  hintmedium
> > Xft.rgba:       rgb
> >
> > I don't know why Xft.antialias was set to 0, since from .fonts.conf I
> > would think that it should be 1:
> >
> > The relevant part of .fonts.conf:
> >  <match target="font" >
> >   <edit mode="assign" name="antialias" >
> >    <bool>true</bool>
> >   </edit>
> >  </match>
> >
> > But setting 'Xft.antialias: 1' in .Xresources and
> > running 'xrdb -merge .Xresources' has the same effect as
> > running 'gnome-settings-daemon': it fixes the problem. But the strange
> > thing is that this .Xresrouces setting is not persistent across logging
> > out and then in, as all the other .Xresources settings I use are. So
> > something must be altering the Xft.antialias setting from 1 to 0 when I
> > log into KDE.
>
> How do you log on or start X? I use the graphical log-in screen of kdm.
> I don't use ~/.Xresources at all (nor ~/.xinitrc or ~/.xsession) and my
> Xft options get set to exactly what I would expect from the contents of
> my ~/.fonts.conf:
>
> $ xrdb -query | grep Xft
> Xft.antialias:  1
> Xft.hinting:    1
> Xft.hintstyle:  hintfull
>
> Do you have any references to Xft in files in /etc/X11/Xresources or
> /etc/X11/Xsession.d?

I use an .xsession file with 'startkde' at the end, but I get the same
behaviour with no .xsession or .xinitrc, and just choosing "KDE" from the
Session Type menu in kdm.
It is interesting that using Session Type: Twm gives no lines for Xft in the
xrdb -query output, but GTK applications work correctly with antialiasing in
that case. I have no references to xft inside /etc/X11. And my .Xresources
doesn't contain any other lines that should conflict with the Xft lines that
appear automatically.

Best regards,
Torquil M. Sørensen