Re: Anybody else seeing this GTK2 bug?

> With KDE it is of course possible to fine-tune the font settings in a nice
> menu which uses the proper technical terms.  Just go to "Control Center >
> Appearance & Themes > Fonts" and select "Use anti-aliasing for fonts". You
> can use the "Configure..." button to set the hinting style, etc. Your
> ~/.fonts.conf will be rewritten accordingly as soon as you press "Apply" or
> "OK". You have to log out and log in again for the setting to take effect,
> though (if I remember correctly). I never had to use the
> gnome-control-center after that, and the text rendering in all my GTK2
> applications is fine.

Yes, you are right. The KDE control center does indeed modify .fonts.conf. So
I have activated the anti-aliasing from there instead. But the GTK bug is
around until I start gnome-control-center (or gnome-settings-daemon). I can
see that after logging in to KDE, my GTK apps are not anti-aliased until I
run one of those commands, even though .fonts.conf says that they should be.
This is independent of $GDK_USE_XFT=0/1. But after I run
gnome-settings-daemon or gnome-control-center, fonts in GTK apps become
anti-aliased and smaller, and the bug disappears. In addition KDE fonts also
become smaller. All this while not changing .fonts.conf at all...

Best regards,
Torquil M. Sørensen