Re: Anybody else seeing this GTK2 bug?

On Sun, Jul 23, 2006 at 17:43:16 +0200, Torquil Macdonald Sørensen wrote:
> On Sunday 23 July 2006 16:17, Florian Kulzer wrote:
> > I suspect that the Gnome font configuration dialog uses ~/.fonts.conf as
> > well to set up the font rendering according to the user's preferences,
> > but I don't know for sure since I don't use Gnome. You can make some
> > changes via the dialog and check this file, then you will see which
> > Gnome option corresponds to which font setting. (The fact that the Gnome
> > developers refuse to use standard technical terms like "anti-aliasing"
> > is one of the main reasons why I don't use Gnome, by the way.)
>
> I am using KDE, and I just found out that every time I log in, I have to start
> the gnome-control-center and turn on the anti-aliasing (Even if it says that
> it is already on. I change it to a different setting, and then back again).
> If I don't do that, I still have the original bug in my GTK applications. But
> the .fonts.conf file is unchanged through that process.

With KDE it is of course possible to fine-tune the font settings in a
nice menu which uses the proper technical terms.  Just go to "Control
Center > Appearance & Themes > Fonts" and select "Use anti-aliasing for
fonts". You can use the "Configure..." button to set the hinting style,
etc. Your ~/.fonts.conf will be rewritten accordingly as soon as you
press "Apply" or "OK". You have to log out and log in again for the
setting to take effect, though (if I remember correctly). I never had to
use the gnome-control-center after that, and the text rendering in all
my GTK2 applications is fine.

--
Regards,
          Florian