Re: Fluxbox + Firefox slow

On 7/22/06, Nick Wright <nick@lsd.net.nz> wrote:
I use fluxbox as my window manager. Its pretty sweet for most stuff --
light and fast. However when scrolling around in firefox the system is
brought to its knees (CPU load spikes to 80-90%). This also happens
quite a bit when altering the focus between firefox and other windows.

I use a focus-on-mouse-pointer setup which means the focus can shift
quite quickly a number of times which can exacerbating the problem.

The video card is a pci geforce 2 which is reasonable for 2D
performance. This is a (dual) P3 system at 866mhz.

Have you checked your memory usage?  Firefox tends to grow as it runs,
and I've noticed my entire system slows to a crawl once Firefox has
forced it into heavy swapping.  Given your clock speed, I'm guessing
you don't have a huge amount of RAM.  With my extensions, Firefox
wants about 120MB at startup, which used to be half of my physical
memory (Thunderbird took almost all of the other half).  Since
increasing my memory, I've seen a substantial improvement.

--
Michael A. Marsh
http://www.umiacs.umd.edu/~mmarsh