Fluxbox + Firefox slow

I use fluxbox as my window manager. Its pretty sweet for most stuff --
light and fast. However when scrolling around in firefox the system is
brought to its knees (CPU load spikes to 80-90%). This also happens
quite a bit when altering the focus between firefox and other windows.

I use a focus-on-mouse-pointer setup which means the focus can shift
quite quickly a number of times which can exacerbating the problem.

The video card is a pci geforce 2 which is reasonable for 2D
performance. This is a (dual) P3 system at 866mhz.

Does anyone else find the same thing? Can you recommend any
alternatives to firefox that perform better in fluxbox (and obviously
is as featureful as possible)

Cheers,

Nick