Re: just some thoughts

On 7/21/06, Kevin Mark <kevin.mark@verizon.net> wrote:
It costs a lot (in terms of money
and developement) to take any current linux software and make it 'newbie
fiendly' and close to the supposed ease of 'ms products'. You are free
to work on this and ask for help but so far the only folks doing it are
ubuntu and they are backed by a billionaire. If only warren buffet had
given few billion to Debian!

I agree, but as far as ease of use, that does and always will matter
to the majority of people using computers as a means to an end.  I
installed AGNULA Linux out of curiosity, and no, none of the audio
programs come close to the customizability and ease of use of
something like Digital Performer.  The most brilliant artists are not
the most brilliant systems people, as much as the brilliant systems
people might want that to be true.  Anyone doing something creative
with computers wants to spend as little time as possible thinking
around the interface, and it seems, to an extent, this is something
the proprietary teams spend far more time on than most Linux
developers.  So be it, but until this (gradually) changes, most
professional artists and content people will strongly prefer to spend
a few hundred dollars extra to shave a few nanoseconds off their
production time (e.g., a hotkey instead of a mouse click).

One exception I've noticed already is Blender, which seems to be all
about the interface, which its users love.  This is not the case with
Rosegarden. :(
I know the usual response is "Well Linux doesn't want those people."
But I don't buy it.  Linux *has* gotten far easier to use and I have
no doubt much of the software will continue to do so.  No, we don't
need those people, but we'll be glad to have them as they (gradually)
migrate over, and we'll brag about it once they're here.