Re: just some thoughts

Hi $USER with an idea about a linux distro,

On Fri, Jul 21, 2006 at 03:03:48PM +0100, crank u. say wrote:
> You could promote Linux, and even sell Linux I believe with this
> approach: 1. You need a reliable group of Linux experts who have
> internet access 2. They will need to have technical, physical and
> legal ability and authority to take control of a computer that a
> potential client authorizes them to take control of 3. A client (a
> human being who wants a custom operating system installed to their
> needs and wants--programs they will be able to use and not any more)
> will by telephone interview or online questionaire, describe and
> define what applications they want and need, which in turn will be
> included in a Linux framework to fit their abilities to actuallyuse
> them as they are familiar with using application programs.  This will
> generally be GUI with defaults that make sense, and options limited
> for less experienced users and greater for more experienced users.
> For people who surf the net but have little concept of security
> hazards or safeguards, the person who makes the Linux package will
> use their judgement to include essential safeguards by default.  4. I
> am absolutely convinvinced that a  seemingly "custom" Linux operating
> system could be produced fairly quickly--quickly enough from any
> number of distros stripped of the superfluous Linux trivia (over half
> of any distro i have ever seen--all the "geek" stuff that you throw in
> for good measure and people like me puzzle over even after seeing the
> applications for over a year), then personalized by installing for
> easy use the best applications that people ask for--Firefox browser,
> not Konqueror, Mozilla Suite would be nice because it has the
> "composer " to make simple web pages (forget those other 30 or so
> arcane editors always in Linux Distros), NVU I swear by and have never
> found it it a Linux distro, Skype and not the rest of the geek voip
> phones that you like but no one uses.  Open Office is acceptable, but
> Office compatibility should also be an option even if it costs for
> some proprietary software.After all, a person will gladly pay for a
> unique and personal (custom, on e-of-a-kind or whatever marketing term
> serves you), that has been install by someone to order and even fine
> tuned and serviced (for a modest fee) to suit the client and to make
> optimal use of his specific hardware as wellIn other words; if any one
> of you geniuses would spend an hour or two to put a stable secure
> operating system based on a core of a Linux distro that was stripped
> of all the stuff most people do not want, but complete with the
> applications that people do want and are familiar with (and that work
> through simple GUI), I think people would pay $50 or so, if out of
> nothing else but vanity of having a system custonm assembled (not
> written from scratch--that's stupid) for their use and installed for
> them so they can be assured that their system is ready to do what they
> want to do as soon as they start using it and will hold together over
> [...]
First, Debian is created for a target audience: people who want to
do-it-their-way, not a super-user-fiendly newbie point and clicky disto.
Ubuntu is sort of trying to do this as are other derivatives. There is
even libranet and xandros. Debian has always been a great distro to
create a distro. Look at skoelinux. It costs a lot (in terms of money
and developement) to take any current linux software and make it 'newbie
fiendly' and close to the supposed ease of 'ms products'. You are free
to work on this and ask for help but so far the only folks doing it are
ubuntu and they are backed by a billionaire. If only warren buffet had
given few billion to Debian!
cheers
Kev