Re: Please suggest a video capture software

Santanu Chatterjee wrote:

On 7/20/06, Bruno Buys <bruno.grupos@gmail.com> wrote:

Mencoder and streamer don't meet that requirement, so I guess if there
is such software, it must be an obscure one.

First of all, thank you and Kenward for your response.
I did try some obscure ones after searching through
freshmeat, but unfortunately, none of them ran on my system
(eg. vcr, cupid, fftv, etc). Most of them did not compile.
None of them seem to be available via apt from debian
repositories.

Why don't you control the recording via sound only, and write some
scripts to ease the launch of the rec program? That's what I do...
Another way would be to place a splitter on the tv signal cable and
install a tv close to the computer, but that's another story...

Well, the splitter solution is not feasible in my case, since I am
using a tv tuner mainly because I don't have space for a tv in my
room. However, your first suggestion seems quite feasible, and
I will try writing a script for that. Currently, for recording, I am stuck with
xawtv + streamer combination (streamer seems to work even when
xawtv is running), but the picture quality is not even nearly as good as
in tvtime.

I will be out of town for the next 5 days, so I won't be able to
try out your suggestions until I return. But in the meantime, if
you have any suggestions, please do mail them to this thread.

Regards,
Santanu

Well, santanu, since you raised this issue, let me say: I find it curious that there is a lack of such program, not specifically for debian, but for linux. Being able to watch the video while recording is a rather basic thing. I don't want to behave as the complaining-type-of-user (specially because I can't code anything), but it seems to me that there must be some lack of interest in this project. Except for that, I don't see why such a program would be too hard to write. All the pieces are there, already: v4l2 supplies the video stream, codecs are thriving over the internet, the author would only have to redirect the stream to both X and a file, after encoding. Am I very wrong about that?
Enough whining:
this is the script I use to launch mencoder without need to memorize all parameters

bruno@frank:~$ g2
#! /bin/sh

clear
echo "  red Script"
echo "  needs link /dev/video"
echo "  Params:"
echo "  640 x 480"
echo "  Deinterlacer: ci"
echo "  BR: 1800kb"
echo "  "1 minute audio/video takes aprox. 15minutes"
echo "  pal-m, 30fps"
echo "  Writes the file /backup/movie-`date`.avi"
echo "  Is the auxiliar audio open?"
sleep 1

mencoder -oac lavc -lavcopts acodec=mp3 -ovc lavc -lavcopts vbitrate=1800 -ffourcc divx -tv driver=v4l2:norm=pal-m:input=1:adevice=/dev/dsp:width=640:height=480 -vf pp=lb -o /backup/filme-640x480-1800kbps-pal-m-30fps-deint_ci-`date +%H:%M-%d-%m-%Y`.avi -endpos 01:30:00 tv://

(from 'mencoder' to 'tv://' is a single line, the email will likely break it)

OBS - the endpos switch controls the amount of time being recorded. If you remove it, you can cancel with control-c.

Notice the channel to be recorded is the last one set by tvtime. You can also set the channel in the command line, see man:mencoder, its easy.

Using this line you hear the audio, that's how I control my recordings.