Re: Trying `Wine'

On Fri, 2006-07-21 at 10:48 -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:

> Rodolfo Medina wrote:
> > On Thu, Jul 20, 2006 at 10:24:37PM +0200, Rodolfo Medina wrote:
> [snip]
> > Thanks. I installed Wine with `apt-get install wine', but don't
> > manage to do anything, not only install ICQ! In particular, when
> > I do: `wine icq5_1_setup.exe' it requires internet explorer
> > installation, but then I can manage to install it. But I don't
> > even manage to run notepad. Do you have any suggestion?
>
> Crossover Office.

Surely there are better suggestions than that.  Crossover is commercial!
$40

But, I haven't had much luck with wine on Debian Stable.  Backports
didn't have a wine package last time I checked, and I've never tried
building it from source.

Still, you may want to try winetools (or something like that, it is on
winehq.org in the downloads) if it will work with the stable version of
wine.  It helped me when I was trying out wine the first time.  Also,
winehq.org has an application database that may have the ICQ program
you're wanting to use listed.