Chatting with Debian GNU/Linux (was: A question about chatting)

Rodolfo Medina <rodolfo.medina@gmail.com> writes:

> My sister wants to chat with MS Windows users who use a chat
> program called `messenger'.
> Can she do that using Debian GNU/Linux, and will any IRC client
> be fine? A command line tool would be better, as `ircii'.

Many thanks to Rob, Kelly and Alejandro for their replies.
Through Gaim I'm also trying to chat via ICQ, but when asked for
a room name I don't know what to put there.
A hint about the proper syntax or what on earth I should
type in there? (I've never chatted before.)

Thanks, cheers,
Rodolfo