Re: How do I install a non packaged font in Debian?

"H.S." <hs.samix@gmail.com> writes:
> IIRC, I tried this and it seemed to have worked for ttf fonts for my user:
>    1.   Copy the ttf font file to a .fonts directory in your home
> directory.
>    2. Give the command fc-cache -fv in a terminal. Once this command
> is finished, restart your application, e.g. Firefox, and you should be
> able to see the newly installed font.
>
> You don't have to be root for the above to work.
>

> If you want system wide fonts, you need to copy the ttf fonts in
> /usr/loca/share/fonts directory, then give the 'mkfontdir' command
> within that dir as root, and then give the 'fc-cache -fv' command as
> root.

I created a directory in /usr/local/share/fonts called proggy, did a
mkfontdir and issued fc-cache -fv as root, so the font will be
systemwide.
It spat out alot of output including:
fc-cache: "/usr/local/share/fonts": caching, 0 fonts, 1 dirs
fc-cache: "/usr/local/share/fonts/proggy": caching, 2 fonts, 0 dirs

So it appears it added the fonts? But xlsfonts still wont find them, I
even added:   FontPath "/usr/local/share/fonts/proggy" to my xorg.conf
but to no avail.

> I did this a while back so don't recall what other stuff I needed to
> do. I hope the above will work, if not please let me know and I will
> try to dig out more info.

Thanks, I appreciate any help getting this to work!

--
-----Angelina Carlton-----
orchid on irc.freenode.net