Re: How do I install a non packaged font in Debian?

Angelina Carlton wrote:
Hi everyone,

I would like to install the first font on this page:
http://www.proggyfonts.com/index.php?menu=download

My system is Debian Sid, xorg, with defoma and x-ttcidfont-conf
installed.

I created a folder 'proggy' in /usr/share/fonts/truetype/ and unzipped the files there, then ran the command mkfontdir [orchid@morcheeba:/usr/share/fonts/truetype/proggy]% ll
total 100K
-rw-r--r-- 1 root   root   822 2006-07-18 18:00 fonts.cache-1
-rw-r--r-- 1 root   root     2 2006-07-18 17:58 fonts.dir
-rw-r--r-- 1 orchid orchid 45K 2005-03-18 11:59 ProggyCleanCE.ttf
-rw-r--r-- 1 orchid orchid 41K 2005-03-17 18:47 ProggyClean.ttf
[orchid@morcheeba:/usr/share/fonts/truetype/proggy]% file ProggyClean*
ProggyCleanCE.ttf: TrueType font data
ProggyClean.ttf:   TrueType font data

I then ran: sudo xset fp rehash
but the fonts do not show up in xlsfonts, not even after restarting the
x server. Is the a proper way to add non packaged fonts to a Debian
system?

IIRC, I tried this and it seemed to have worked for ttf fonts for my user:
1. Copy the ttf font file to a .fonts directory in your home directory. 2. Give the command fc-cache -fv in a terminal. Once this command is finished, restart your application, e.g. Firefox, and you should be able to see the newly installed font.

You don't have to be root for the above to work.

If you want system wide fonts, you need to copy the ttf fonts in /usr/loca/share/fonts directory, then give the 'mkfontdir' command within that dir as root, and then give the 'fc-cache -fv' command as root.

I did this a while back so don't recall what other stuff I needed to do. I hope the above will work, if not please let me know and I will try to dig out more info.

->HS