Re: How do I install a non packaged font in Debian?

#include <hallo.h>
* Angelina Carlton [Thu, Jul 20 2006, 02:25:05PM]:
> "H.S." <hs.samix@gmail.com> writes:
> > IIRC, I tried this and it seemed to have worked for ttf fonts for my user:
> >    1.   Copy the ttf font file to a .fonts directory in your home
> > directory.
> >    2. Give the command fc-cache -fv in a terminal. Once this command
> > is finished, restart your application, e.g. Firefox, and you should be
> > able to see the newly installed font.
> >
> > You don't have to be root for the above to work.
> >

> > If you want system wide fonts, you need to copy the ttf fonts in
> > /usr/loca/share/fonts directory, then give the 'mkfontdir' command
> > within that dir as root, and then give the 'fc-cache -fv' command as
> > root.
>
> I created a directory in /usr/local/share/fonts called proggy, did a
> mkfontdir and issued fc-cache -fv as root, so the font will be
> systemwide.
> It spat out alot of output including:
> fc-cache: "/usr/local/share/fonts": caching, 0 fonts, 1 dirs
> fc-cache: "/usr/local/share/fonts/proggy": caching, 2 fonts, 0 dirs
>
> So it appears it added the fonts? But xlsfonts still wont find them, I
> even added:   FontPath "/usr/local/share/fonts/proggy" to my xorg.conf
> but to no avail.

xlsfonts uses the old X11 font system. And mkfontdir creates index files
needed for it but only for the old pcf fonts. You want to use mkttfdir
instead, from the fttools package.

Eduard.