Re: How do I install a non packaged font in Debian?

Angelina Carlton wrote:
"H.S." <hs.samix@gmail.com> writes:

IIRC, I tried this and it seemed to have worked for ttf fonts for my user:
  1.   Copy the ttf font file to a .fonts directory in your home
directory.
  2. Give the command fc-cache -fv in a terminal. Once this command
is finished, restart your application, e.g. Firefox, and you should be
able to see the newly installed font.

You don't have to be root for the above to work.

If you want system wide fonts, you need to copy the ttf fonts in
/usr/loca/share/fonts directory, then give the 'mkfontdir' command
within that dir as root, and then give the 'fc-cache -fv' command as
root.

I created a directory in /usr/local/share/fonts called proggy, did a
mkfontdir and issued fc-cache -fv as root, so the font will be
systemwide.
It spat out alot of output including:
fc-cache: "/usr/local/share/fonts": caching, 0 fonts, 1 dirs
fc-cache: "/usr/local/share/fonts/proggy": caching, 2 fonts, 0 dirs

So it appears it added the fonts? But xlsfonts still wont find them, I
even added:   FontPath "/usr/local/share/fonts/proggy" to my xorg.conf
but to no avail.

I did this a while back so don't recall what other stuff I needed to
do. I hope the above will work, if not please let me know and I will
try to dig out more info.

Thanks, I appreciate any help getting this to work!

Please have a look at the fonts installations part of this also:
http://www.svenkrahn.de/linux/my_debian/ar01s04.html

->HS