Re: resizing /var

On Tue, Jul 18, 2006 at 08:03:26AM +0200, Gilles Mocellin wrote:
> Le mardi 18 juillet 2006 04:46, Rick Pasotto a écrit :
> > I have /var as a logical volume and have expanded it. Now I need to
> > run resize2fs to actually use the extra space. In order to run
> > resize2fs /var needs to be unmounted but practically everything uses
> > /var so I would need to stop pretty much all services.
> >
> > What is the best way to handle this? Should I temporarily add a
> > script
> > to one of the /etc/rc?.d directories and then reboot?
>
> It seems that online resizing is supported :
>
> gilles@guitare:~$ aptitude search ~donline~dresize~dext2
> p   ext2resize                                     - an ext2 filesystem
> resizer
>
> Paquet : ext2resize
> État: non installé
> Version : 1.1.19-7
> Priorité : supplémentaire
> Section : admin
> Responsable : Petter Reinholdtsen <pere@debian.org>
> Taille décompressée : 377k
> Dépend: libc6 (>= 2.3.6-6)
> Recommande: e2fsprogs (>= 1.36rc1-1)
> Description : an ext2 filesystem resizer
>  ext2resize resizes ext2 and ext3 filesystems. This is useful if you run out
> of space on one partition, or
>  have too much free space on another.
>
>  Online resizing is also supported, this allows to enlarge mounted
>  filesystem.  It is similar to the resize2fs program from e2fsprogs.
>  Online resizing support was added to the linux kernel in version
>  2.6.10.
>
>  Warning: Although the program is quite safe these days, if you do
>  something wrong things will go wrong badly. Watch out when using
>  programs like this.

Thanks! That (almost) did the trick. I say 'almost' because 'ext2resize'
works only on unmounted file systems but the package includes the
'ext2online' command which works on mounted file systems. It would be
helpful if the description indicated that the package was actually a
*suite* of programs.

--
"Europe was created by history.  America was created by philosophy."
		-- Margaret Thatcher