Re: CD writer wear out?

The rewritable media actually use phase change materials that are
locally melted by the write-laser. Depending on the shape of the
laser pulse, the material is left in either an amorphous or a poly
crystalline state (polycrystalline is more conductive and, hence,
more reflective.) The read senses changes in reflectivity. These
materials can be pretty unstable. I would be more careful about
heat (sat, in a hot car) than about normal room light.

Art Edwards