Re: resizing /var

Le mardi 18 juillet 2006 04:46, Rick Pasotto a écrit :
> I have /var as a logical volume and have expanded it. Now I need to run
> resize2fs to actually use the extra space. In order to run resize2fs
> /var needs to be unmounted but practically everything uses /var so I
> would need to stop pretty much all services.
>
> What is the best way to handle this? Should I temporarily add a script
> to one of the /etc/rc?.d directories and then reboot?

It seems that online resizing is supported :

gilles@guitare:~$ aptitude search ~donline~dresize~dext2
p   ext2resize                                     - an ext2 filesystem
resizer

Paquet : ext2resize
État: non installé
Version : 1.1.19-7
Priorité : supplémentaire
Section : admin
Responsable : Petter Reinholdtsen <pere@debian.org>
Taille décompressée : 377k
Dépend: libc6 (>= 2.3.6-6)
Recommande: e2fsprogs (>= 1.36rc1-1)
Description : an ext2 filesystem resizer
 ext2resize resizes ext2 and ext3 filesystems. This is useful if you run out
of space on one partition, or
 have too much free space on another.

 Online resizing is also supported, this allows to enlarge mounted filesystem.
It is similar to the
 resize2fs program from e2fsprogs. Online resizing support was added to the
linux kernel in version 2.6.10.

 Warning: Although the program is quite safe these days, if you do something
wrong things will go wrong
 badly. Watch out when using programs like this.