Re: Why?

--- S Clement <s.clement@cashette.com> wrote:

> I am new to Debian - within the last two weeks - and
> two things puzzle me.
>
> Why do you seem to prefer gnome over kde?  I have
> examined both and kde seems to me to be easier to
> use.  There must be something I am missing.

It's a very personal choice -- I for one prefer KDE to
Gnome. That said I use GDM (the Gnome Display Manager)
instead of KDM to kick off KDE -- but that's for no
better reason than that I set it up way back at the
beginning before I Knew What I Was Doing (TM) and had
some problems with KDM I couldn't get to the bottom of
whilst GDM worked out of the box. I was probably doing
something embarrassingly stupid but I've never had a
compelling reason to go back and try again.

> Is it worth hunting for a way to change the default?

No need to hunt -- if you want to use KDE over Gnome
just remove the Gnome packages and install the KDE
ones. If you need more specific help with that, reply
back to the list. The precise packages you need to
remove / install may depend on whether you are running
sarge ("stable"), etch ("testing") or sid
("unstable").

> Where did you get that logo?  When it came up on the
> gnome desktop it immediatlely reminded me of
> something being flushed down the drain.  I hope it
> doesn't mean that!

Actually, the logo is a logarithmic spiral, which has
the interesting property that it employs what the
Greeks called the Golden Ratio (an irrational number
approximated by 0.618) which is found all over nature
and man-made objects, from the ratios of body size
generally considered attractive to the slope of the
Great Pyramid at Gizeh (or is it Giza, I can never
remember which is right). Thus the logo represents
Debian's rightful place at the centre of the universe.
Uh huh.