Re: Why?

Roberto Sanchez wrote:
S Clement wrote:
Is it worth hunting for a way to change the default?

Simply go into your package manager and uninstall GNOME and install KDE. Everything else should just fall into place.
No need to uninstall Gnome (as long as you have sufficient disk space to keep both environments).

Just choose KDE when you log in. I'm assuming you're using Gnome's display manager (gdm), which I believe has a pull-down menu for making that selection.

If you prefer to use KDE's display manager (kdm) instead, you should be able to reconfigure it to be the default with the command:

   dpkg-reconfigure -plow kdm

and then selecting kdm as the default. (If KDE/kdm is not installed, you can install it with "aptitude install kde kdm".)

Where did you get that logo? When it came up on the gnome desktop it immediatlely reminded me of something being flushed down the drain. I hope it doesn't mean that!

I think the logo predates pretty much every one on this list (now watch me be wrong about that). I am not really sure.

About four or five years ago there was a "contest" to come up with a new Debian logo. I don't recall enough of the history to remember why this logo was chosen (I kind of liked the "I dream of Jennie"-flavored look - surely the dozen or so candidates are on Google somewhere), but I can say fairly authoritatively that it has nothing to do with flushing down the drain.

--
Kent