Re: Howto add firewire printer ???

helices <helices@helices.org> writes:

> I have been trying to subscribe to the cups mailing lists; but, I have
> NOT received any response.  Is it just due to the weekend?

It should work.  I just used their NNTP server, since the "lists" are
really just a mail gateway to local usenet groups.  Just point your
newsreader at news.easysw.com, and look at cups.general, for example.

> * Roger Leigh <rleigh@whinlatter.ukfsn.org> [2006:07:09:19:16:29+0100] scribed:
>> FWIW, the ieee1394 backend is broken.  You can try the scsi or ipp
>> backends which both support firewire:
>
> I am always very confused by these "backends".  When parport, or samba,
> it just works.
>
> I have tried "ipp", and it does not work for me.  Since I do NOT
> understand how these work; and I have not found any documentation, it
> may well be that this is pilot error (?)

You need to know the destination hostname/IP address and queue name.
Some printers will be using ethernet-over-firewire, and you treat it
just like a networked IPP print server (like another CUPS server).

  ipp://servername/printers/queuename

for a CUPS server, for example.  Most of these networked servers allow
you to point your web browser at them to find out what the URI to use
is (and to do other configuration stuff).

> I do NOT even see "scsi" as an option.
>
> What am I missing?

"dpkg-reconfigure cupsys", and on the question that lets you select
the backend to use, make sure the scsi option is selected.  Once
selected, try running

  /usr/lib/cups/backend/scsi

(as root).  It should scan for all available SCSI printers, including
SCSI-over-FireWire and print a list.  Once you see that, it will also
show up when you choose "add printer" (since this is it does this
behind the scenes to find the available printers).

[BTW, this is just conjecture; I have never owned a printer which had
cool features like firewire connectivity, so I'm just going by what I
understand.]

Regards,
Roger

--
  .''`.  Roger Leigh
   `-    GPG Public Key: 0x25BFB848   Please sign and encrypt your mail.